BQ Role: Lead business case
Proposal Stage of Development: Business case underway
Estimated Cost of Delivery: $600-$700 million*
Date of Publication: June 2016
The number of passenger and freight trains operating between the Beerburrum and Nambour Stations on the North Coast Line is approaching full capacity. This is limiting the ability to provide additional passenger and freight services. It also introduces inefficiencies in the movement of freight during passing movements and decreases service reliability.
The objectives of the proposal are to:
- improve the level of service of rail to the Sunshine Coast
- improve rail freight efficiency and service reliability
The proposal will duplicate the North Coast Line between Beerburrum and Landsborough (approximately 20 kilometres in length) and upgrade the existing infrastructure between Landsborough and Nambour. The proposed upgrade is 39 kilometres in length.
The proposal is forecast to deliver:
- travel time savings for passengers between Beerburrum and Nambour
- increased capacity for additional rail services
- increased rail patronage
- a reduction of vehicles on the Bruce Highway
- increased service reliability
- increased efficiency for freight services
Complete business case.
* A range is provided by Responsible Agency as a number of options are still being considered. An estimate will be provided once the Business Case is complete.