Proposal Stage of Development: Detailed Business Case Underway
Building Queensland Role: Leading Detailed Business Case
Date of Publication: June 2017 (for period 4 December 2016 – 3 June 2017)
The Bruce Highway is part of the National Network connecting Cairns to the bulk of Queensland and servicing both intra and inter-regional movement. It is the primary freight access to Cairns, handling more freight than the Port of Cairns and the North Coast Rail Line. The section of the Bruce Highway under investigation is congested as it serves as the principal access to the central business district from the south of Cairns, which is a major growth area.
The following options are being investigated:
- increased lane capacity
- intersection upgrades.
The project is expected to:
- improve safety of transport users
- enhance road network reliability
- improve transport infrastructure condition
- improve freight, high occupancy vehicles and tourism vehicle efficiency
- cater for planned and potential growth
- provide better management of congestion and external environmental impacts.
Complete Detailed Business Case