Proposal Stage of Development: Procurement Underway
Building Queensland Role: Assisted Detailed Business Case
Date of Publication: June 2017 (for period 4 December 2016 – 3 June 2017)
After a period of historically high growth in prisoner population, the capacity of the central Queensland high-security facility for male prisoners is constrained with capacity exceeded by more than 30% resulting in more than 200 prisoners sharing cells designed for single cell occupation.
The proposal is to provide a 164 cell expansion to the existing 410 cell high-security facility for male prisoners at Capricornia Correctional Centre to reduce the level of overcrowding at the Capricornia Correctional Centre.
The project is expected to deliver the following benefits to the Capricornia Correctional Centre:
- reduced fire safety issues
- reduced risk of plumbing failures
- improved routine and preventative maintenance of cells
- less strain on building facilities
- less violence between prisoners, and prisoners and staff
- increased access to education programs and prison employment opportunities contributing towards lower rates of recidivism.
Complete Procurement and Delivery