Proposal Stage of Development: Preliminary Business Case Underway
Planned Stage End Date: Q2 2017
Date of Publication: June 2017 (for period 4 December 2016 – 3 June 2017)
Gold Coast Hospital currently operates 72 acute mental health beds within a 750-bed territory facility. Projections indicate future capacity will be required by 2021 to service mental health needs locally and across the state.
The proposal is investigating the following options:
- minor upgrades to maximise the services at the current facility and a review of mental health services at other HHSs in the area
- minor upgrade to construct and operate a smaller unit to service Gold Coast HHS only
- major upgrade to construct and operate a larger unit to service Gold Coast HHS and other patient flows including from Metro South HHS.
The project is expected to:
- provide a continuum of care for mental health facilities on the Gold Coast
- reduce the shortfall between projected and available mental health beds.
Complete Preliminary Business Case