Proposal Stage of Development: Preliminary Business Case Underway
Building Queensland Role: Assisting with Preliminary Business Case
Estimated Cost of Delivery: To be determined*
Date of Publication: June 2017 (for period 4 December 2016 – 3 June 2017)
Traffic volumes on the M1 Motorway are exceeding capacity, causing extended periods of congestion on a daily basis. Forecast increases in travel demand will further extend traffic delays, increasing travel times, decreasing reliability and risking road safety on the 8-kilometre section of the M1 between Eight Mile Plains and Daisy Hill. Busway services use this section and forecast increases in traffic congestion will further impact bus travel time reliability and customer satisfaction. The cycle network is also disconnected on this section, reducing alternatives for local traffic.
The proposal is investigating the following options:
- managed motorways, including ramp metering
- eight-lane option on M1 Motorway
- extension of the South East Busway to Springwood, including new cycle infrastructure.
The project is expected to:
- improve motorway capacity, travel times, reliability and safety
- optimise efficiency for freight and commercial transport
- promote travel behaviour change and mode shifts to public and active transport.
Complete Preliminary Business Case
* An estimate will be provided once the proposal has been developed further.