Proposal Stage of Development: Preliminary Business Case Complete
Building Queensland Role: Led Preliminary Business Case
Estimated Cost of Delivery: $330 million*
Date of Publication: December 2017
The limited availability of water allocations for agricultural use in the Mareeba Dimbulah irrigation area is inhibiting the opportunity for economic development in the region.
The proposal is investigating the following options for augmented water supply:
- augmenting/enhancing the existing water supply system
- optimising water trading within the catchment and ‘repurposing’ current water allocations
- converting water losses from existing water transport infrastructure (e.g. transfer channels) to new water allocations
- construction of Nullinga Dam.
The project is expected to increase availability of water to meet long-term supply across the region and enhance agricultural development opportunities.
Commence Detailed Business Case
* Nominal cost in Australian dollars, Building Queensland preliminary business case 2017.