BQ Role: N/A*
Proposal Stage of Development: Business case complete
Estimated Cost of Delivery: $220 million**
Date of Publication: June 2016
The existing Pacific Motorway (from Mudgeeraba to Varsity Lakes) transport infrastructure lacks sufficient capacity to accommodate the current traffic volumes, resulting in significant congestion. This section of motorway also has a motor vehicle incident rate above the state average and higher than any other highway in Queensland. With increasing traffic volumes, both congestion and the motor vehicle incident rates will increase.
The objectives of the proposal are to:
- reduce the number and severity of motor vehicle incidents
- improve the capacity and efficiency of road freight
- upgrade infrastructure to meet current highway design standards
- improve travel time reliability
- minimise social impacts of traffic issues on parallel local roads
The proposal will widen 5 kilometres of the Pacific Motorway (M1) to 6 lanes (a 50 per cent increase in capacity) between Mudgeeraba and Varsity Lakes and an additional northbound auxiliary lane between Robina and Mudgeeraba.
Queensland Government investment consideration.
* Responsible Agency completed Business Case in 2013, update undertaken in mid-2015.
**Nominal cost in Australian dollars, Responsible Agency Business Case 2016.