BQ Role: Assist with preliminary evaluation
Proposal Stage of Development: Preliminary evaluation underway
Estimated Cost of Delivery: $50-$100 million*
Date of Publication: June 2016 (for the period 3 December 2015 – 3 June 2016)
The movement of larger vessels (draft over 14 metres) through the Clinton Channel at the Port of Gladstone is resulting in interaction of forces between the passing vessel and vessels berthed at the RG Tanna Coal Terminal. These forces impact on the safe mooring and operations at the terminal.
The objective of the proposal is to create a safe environment for vessels berthed at the RG Tanna Coal Terminal when larger vessels using the Clinton Channel pass by.
Options being assessed are:
- controlling transit speed and utilising tugs to control vessels berthed at time of transit
- introducing a new mooring system
- deepening of Clinton Bypass Channel
- widening of Clinton Channel
Complete Preliminary Evaluation.
* A range is provided by Responsible Agency as a number of options are still being considered. An estimate will be provided once the Business Case is complete.