Proposal Stage of Development: Preliminary Business Case Complete
Building Queensland Role: To Lead Detailed Business Case
Estimated Cost of Delivery: $150–$250 million*
Date of Publication: June 2017 (for period 4 December 2016 – 3 June 2017)
The need for an infrastructure upgrade has been identified to provide for statewide spinal cord and brain injury rehabilitation as well as general rehabilitation services for patients utilising the Metro South Hospital and Health Service. This includes development of health solutions that provide flexibility to respond to changing models of care and future capacity growth.
The proposal is investigating options including improvement of existing buildings, construction of new buildings and/or purchasing of services through a service agreement.
Further development of the proposal will include site master planning and preparation of the project definition plan and schematic design.
The project is expected to:
- reduce acute care type relative stay index » provide relief from bed block in the acute care setting within the main hospital
- reduce in-hospital lengths of stay and hospital re-admissions
- reduce risk of deconditioning
- reduce entry numbers to higher levels of institutionalised care
- reduce GP-type presentations to Emergency Departments as a proportion of total Metro South Hospitals Emergency Department activity
- reduce Emergency Department re-admission rates and time between Emergency Department presentation and admission
- reduce maintenance expenditure.
Commence Detailed Business Case
* A range is provided by Responsible Agency as a number of options are still being considered.