Proposal Stage of Development: Detailed Business Case Complete
Building Queensland Role: Led Detailed Business Case
Estimated Cost of Delivery: $360 million*
Date of Publication: December 2017
Outside of South East Queensland, Public Safety Agencies rely on analogue networks and equipment for communication. These networks and equipment could be improved to meet the needs of modern emergency services. The analogue networks are not encrypted, do not allow for interoperable cross-agency communication, have coverage limitations in some areas, the equipment is nearing its end-of-life, and there is a requirement to ensure compliance with the Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) spectrum licensing requirements.
The detailed business case assessed a number of options to address the service need. The business case includes a compliance-only option to meet the ACMA spectrum licensing requirements and an option that would see a combination of trunked P25 digital radio communications provided in high service demand areas, together with other technologies deployed in lower service demand locations.
Components of these solutions include:
- compliance with the ACMA spectrum licensing requirements
- dedicated purpose-built trunk digital radio network with capacity to meet local radio traffic requirements
- technology communication solutions in remote and less populated areas to supplement the trunk digital radio
- improved network availability and coverage
- duress alarms and global positioning system location data to significantly improve officer safety
- encryption of voice and data communication to prevent unauthorised monitoring of communications.
The range of benefits include:
- ACMA compliance
- increase public safety agency collaboration and performance
- increase officer safety and enhance operational effectiveness
- improve alignment to mission critical communication standards
- improve operational resource management
- enhance data to inform future operational and strategic plans, policies and procedures
- provide a range of positive social impacts such as improvements in community safety and wellbeing.
Ready for Queensland Government consideration.
* Subject to consideration of preferred option.