Proposal Stage of Development: Detailed Business Case Complete
Building Queensland Role: Led Detailed Business Case
Estimated Cost of Delivery: $150 million*
Date of Publication: June 2017 (for period 4 December 2016 – 3 June 2017)
The Smithfield Transport Corridor Upgrade is a proposed new 3.8-kilometre road bypass to the east of the Captain Cook Highway between Yorkeys Knob Road roundabout and McGregor Road roundabout north of Cairns. The section of the Captain Cook Highway under investigation has reported a high crash rate and there is significant congestion in morning and afternoon peaks, resulting in increased travel times and reduced trip reliability. Forecast traffic growth is beyond the reliable capacity of the existing infrastructure.
The proposal investigated:
- upgrading the existing Yorkeys Knob roundabout with a four-legged (four-phase) signalised intersection to cater for the addition of the bypass route traffic
- a northbound left off only exit ramp from the bypass route at Cattana Road
- exit and entry ramps to a proposed future designated road at the northern end of the bypass route
- a two-lane bi-directional overpass at McGregor Road roundabout
- an off-road cycle path.
The project is expected to:
- improve travel times and reduce travel costs for all road users
- improve freight, high occupancy vehicles and tourism vehicle efficiency
- reduce number and severity of crashes
- facilitate planned growth in residential, commercial and industrial land uses, and increase local employment opportunities through more efficient transport
- improve community amenity.
Queensland Government investment consideration
* Nominal cost in Australian dollars, Building Queensland Detailed Business Case 2017.