Proposal Stage of Development: Preliminary Business Case Complete
Building Queensland Role: Assisted with Preliminary Business Case
Estimated Cost of Delivery: $450–$750 million*
Date of Publication: December 2017
The infrastructure at Toowoomba Hospital is operating at capacity in a number of areas and the hospital currently faces long Emergency Department waiting times and overcrowding. Forecast demand, driven by a growing and ageing population and high levels of chronic disease, is expected to place further pressure on the hospital. The current asset condition and functionality is not supporting the efficient and effective delivery of contemporary health services at the hospital.
The proposal is investigating the redevelopment of the existing hospital site at Pechey Street in a staged manner or a relocation to the Baillie Henderson Hospital site in Cranley.
The project is expected to:
- improve the efficiency of health services
- increase service access in the region and reduce patient travel
- reduce recruitment and staff turnover costs
- reduce repairs and maintenance costs
- improve emergency access target performance
- reduce inpatient readmissions
- improve car parking access.
Commence Detailed Business Case
* Cost to be determined following further scoping analysis.